1 Corinthians 7:9 .... it is better to marry than to burn with passion. ;) Happy Valentine's Day!!!
We have had a very nice Valentine's Day!! I woke up this morning and Dave surprised me with flowers - Tulips - which happen to be my favorite. :) They remind me of Spring - they are such happy flowers. He had hid them in the garage last night, and I had no idea they were even there. Since I am on the road all day, there is no way to "send me flowers".
We have been dating or married for four Valentine's now. It is our tradition to stay in, rather than go out to dinner. My gift is making dinner for Dave. (This is truly a gift because we do not have fancy dinners most nights!! We work hard - if you don't believe me, call and listen to our answering machine!)
For our first Valentine's Day we had only been dating approximately a month. I invited Dave over for dinner (I was living at the Becker house at the time). I made chicken parmesan, and for dessert I decided to make him a special treat. He had told me once that his favorite dessert from his childhood was Brownie Baked Alaska that his mom made for special occasions. So - I went online, found a recipe - and decided that I was being so thoughtful! Unfortunately, this is how it turned out:

I can still remember Dave's first words, "What is that?" hahahahah. It isn't supposed to look like this at all. It is supposed to have a merengue out layer that protects the ice cream, and ever so slightly browns as it cooks. I also found out later that Dave's mom had always made it round, and it kind of looked like an igloo. So, sometime between now and then I have gotten the original recipe from his mom for the Brownie Baked Alaska (BBA).
Fast Forward to our second Valentine's day, and we were living 12hours apart - so I did receive my flowers - but no dinner that year. Fast Forward to our third Valentine's day - married and in PA - a HUGE snowstorm hit and Dave was lucky to make it home that day from Buffalo, NY. (But, that is another story.) We did have a nice dinner that I made that night, and a pretty cake - but no brownie baked alaska.
So, tonight - I decided it was time to surprise Dave with a yummy dinner and the BBA for dessert. Welllllllllllllll - it came pretty close. The merengue is my enemy. I was actually an egg white short, but I didn't think it'd make much of a difference. I'm guessing that is where it all went wrong. The merengue didn't peak, and therefore it dripped right off my Alaska. Dave still enjoyed it - citing that "the brownie and ice cream is his favorite part anyway. Here is what tonight's version looked like:
Oh Well!!! Maybe, the third time will be a charm. I'm sure I just need to master the merengue portion of the recipe.
And, in case you're wondering what a real finished product might look like, here is one from Martha Stewart:
Happy Valentine's To All!!




5 comments:
I didn't know your favorite flowers were tulips! Those are beautiful by the way! And look at the bright side...your dessert looks much better than the first time you made it! :)
haha At least you won't give up!, and that probably makes it taste real good to Dave.
You've been tagged. :)
Jill - who cares what it looks like as long as it tastes good? Maybe you can make it again sometime with Glenda? By the way, your flowers are beautiful-you have such a great husband! I got flowers too and we ate at Stoney's. Randy got a little bit of candy, a card and a poem (it was pretty good).
Love the flowers. :) My tulips were all pink. I like that verse you put on there - hahaha. I love that you take pictures of the dessert. Zach and I made lasagna one night and thought it looked so good we took a picture of it - haha. Love you! Glad you had a good valentines day!
Post a Comment