I have been tagged by Heather to tell 7 random things about myself - and just for fun they will all relate to my brothers. I'm also supposed to tag 7 other people, but since I do not have that many fellow bloggers - I will just skip that part. :)
1. I used to get up at the crack of dawn to watch cartoons on Saturday mornings- actually before the crack of dawn. I was an early-bird!! I was up so early one morning that my brothers were sneaking back into the house while I was watching cartoons. I wasn't sure why they were crawling past the living room!
2. J&J (my brothers) told me that our dad was the Incredible Hulk - and I believed them. Don't make him mad!! They also told me that the boogie man lived in our attic!!!
3. My brother, Jamey, taught me how to ride a bike (no training wheels!). He ran around the entire block with me - which was actually a much bigger block than what you are probably picturing.
4. We played a lot of WAR in the woods behind our house with the other neighborhood kids - we had our own forts that we built...and I don't remember the rules - but I do remember it all went south when the older neighborhood boys brought out their Chinese Stars and threatened REAL violence.
5. My brother, Aaron, "made" me watch a LOT of MacGyver (ok, I liked it, too)!!! I'm certain that I have seen every episode of Macgyver - I can even tell you his first name, Angus. Along the same lines - I can name most of the WWF wrestlers from the late 80's early 90's - I thought all families in America were watching the WWF!! "To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong. "
6. When all of my friends were listening and dancing along to NKOTB (New Kids On The Block).... I wasn't..... my brothers told me they were gay, so I never listened to them.
7. We walked beans every summer down at my grandparents farm.... I always had special treatment by grandpa the first few years - I was so young! Some of the special treatments included: extra water breaks, snack breaks, - and probably some easier rows. (If you have no idea what walking beans is - to sum it up you have 2 rows of beans on either side of you and you must make sure all 4 rows are clear of weeds as you walk through the entire field. This is basically extinct because of pesticides that now kill the weeds without effecting the beans) Anyway - I can recall a certain time when I was way ahead on my rows and one of them hollered up to me, "Jill you missed a weed" - to which I turned around and the biggest stalk of corn you've ever seen was way back in my rows. So, I headed back to it - only to find that it was a fake. They had thrown a perfect stalk into my rows and managed to get it upright. This trick worked time and time again on almost everyone. We had tons of fun - including seeing who could remember to call first shower, who would get the last weed of the season, and the Golden Hoe award - for the best bean walker...which was created by my Uncle Mike. (I don't think I was ever picked!?!) Sometimes my grandpa would tell me, "there's a button weed just southwest of you." I'd turn in circles, having no idea which way southwest was....and then his next comment "if it was a snake it would have bit you." hahahahaha. Lots, and lots of good memories ---- I can only barely recall the way the wet, muddy jeans clung to the skin and picked up extra weight throughout the morning. And the best part - heading in for lunch and the best smells you've ever smelled coming from grandma's kitchen!!


5 comments:
I remember hearing stories about #7. NKOTB--did you hear they are making a reunion CD? I promise I did not seek that info out. :)
NKOTB - I think they me be cool now that they are the OKOTB.
Yay, I never listened to NKOTB either! It's a good thing we were the only girls in the family. :)
Jill - I enjoyed reading about your fun in the bean field. It's too bad kids don't have to do that any more. Bev, Vera, Judy and I have our own good stories about walking in the bean field....great memories! Of course "Aunt Judy" started walking with us when she was only about 4. She would never walk in the "scrap row". The "scrap row" was in the bean field around our house and we always pitched left over food into the food (we didn't have garbage disposals then and in the country it was just "the thing to do"). We still tease her about refusing to walk in the "scrap row". Of course we all have good memories of the many, many, people who walked with us. One of our favorites is when Uncle Paul walked with us (he was probably about 21) and he sang "She Wore and Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini." Plus, in later years there was no job that seemed to big to tackle....after tackling a huge bean field full of weeds!
NKOTB was my FIRST EVER concert! I was 11 or 12 and it was grand. You really missed out. I still know all the words to pretty much every song, and most of the dances, I'll fill in you next time we are together.
Post a Comment