Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Dad!!

Today is my dad's birthday!! I love that guy, too!!

We have lots of fun stories and memories with dad - I gave him a magnet not to long ago that said, "When in Doubt, Call Dad!" It is true.... he knows the answers to many questions - and if you have a beef with someone he is sure to back you up!

Joey, Jamey and I like to call it "pulling a Miles Chevrolet." For those of you that do not know, Miles Chevrolet is a car dealership in our hometown...and it's a great story that Jamey can tell about a visit to Miles with a problem with dad's truck - a truck that he had for less than a month when he problem occurred. The situation was handled accordingly, but Jamey isn't sure if he can ever go back to Miles. hahaha. Anyway - Joey & Maritza have a similar story from when someone tried to pull one over on them while Dad was out visiting them in California. I can't remember all of the details - but, I know that dad sent the guy packing. And when the florist for our wedding did something that was rather out of line, I knew to call Dad to have him take care of her. Anyway - I think he gets embarrassed when we call it "pulling a miles chevrolet" - but we know we can always count on him to stand up for us.

He is also a decorated war veteran from Vietnam - a war where thank-you's and welcome home parade's and parties didn't happen like they do now. A great many people may oppose the war in Iraq, but everyone is still supporting the soldiers that are over there. I was reading about March 29th becoming WHVVD - Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day on a yearly basis. One guy said, "For almost 35 years now, Vietnam Veterans have had an underlying need to hear four little words, Thank You and Welcome Home."

So let's see, Dad - Happy Birthday, Thank-you, and Welcome Home, Soldier!!! Hoo-Rah!

Here are some pic's, we saw him last weekend - he'll be boating a lot this summer so we thought he could use some new swim trunks!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww shucks, Thanks for all the kind words and the swimming trunks and shirt too! Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Yes, Poop Deck Pappy did chase off the knucklehead that tried to squeeze us for some cash.....I think that guy still stutters to this day. However, I have seen the man whimper like a 2 year old after rolling his ankle in our front yard, west of Moweaqua. On a serious note, SGT Hettinger put in work before putting in work was cool, so welcome home Soldier, we appreciate your sacrifice.

MA1(SW/AW/PIMP)Hettinger

Jamey said...

Yep! Dad has our back...for sure. He is the Hulk (don't make him mad Jill) I still suffer from anxiety attacks from the Miles Chevy deal...

His brothers in arms and his family is all the thanks he needs..he don't need no parade or marching bands. That is what we need, because we feel bad about it...but them vets did it for their brothers...nothing else ..thanks Pops...for protecting and saving our brothers.

He did roll his ankle in Moweaqua and whine like a nancy....but hey, that freakin hurts! The thing was purple for a month :P

Jamey said...

I will say you are looking like a "mean green fighting machine". The pics are good pops, A testament to working out.

Joe