Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'm Just Resting My Eyes

I fell asleep last night while watching television..... Dave asked, "Are you sleeping?!?" To which I responded, "No, I'm just resting my eyes, but I can't remember what just happened [on the show]."

I would like to credit my Grandma with teaching me the "I'm just resting my eyes" line. I can remember being at my grandparents house and finding my grandma on the couch, apparently sleeping. I would ask, "Grandma, are you sleeping?" She would respond, as above, "No, I'm just resting my eyes." I'm still not sure to this day, but I think she probably was just resting her eyes. Whereas, I was really sleeping. And, I typically am really sleeping when someone asks me this question.

I would like to credit my friend, Mindy, with the fibbing about sleeping part. I frequently fall asleep during movies, I have even done it approximately 5 times a the movie theatre. This, I believe is irritating [note: especially if someone else paid $8 for your movie] - and I can see why.... you think you are watching a movie with a friend, you laugh at a funny part (alone) - only to discover that your friend has fallen asleep on you!!! It's just not fun anymore. SO - I will give Mindy the credit [she would make me wake up] for my neverending fibbing about not really being asleep, but just "resting my eyes." I have even gotten so good at it, that sometimes I can wake up when I hear someone else laughing, and I pretend to laugh as if I actually heard the joke. Once I hit REM though, it is all over.

I would like to credit my mom's genes with the actual reason for the falling asleep part. [And quite possibly my dad, too... he can often be found snoozing during Sunday football games] But, alas - if it is between 8:30-9:00pm and you are watching tv with my mom, she is most likely snoozing. My brothers and I learned very early that you can ask mom almost anything while she is sleeping, and she will always say yes, and not remember what she told you the next day. She would say, "Did I tell you that while I was sleeping?" Very Funny.

Dave doesn't care if I snooze while we are watching tv, so maybe someday I will admit that I am actually sleeping, instead of my usual "I'm just resting my eyes."

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the laugh! :) You and Julie are both guilty of that!

Jamey said...

We are "just resting our eyes" that is just a family tradition..and I think I asked Mom for some Leather pants (in the mid 80's when the were cool)...while she was sleeping......