Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Proceed At Your Own Risk

I was on my work travels a couple of days ago when my Garmin GPS unit directed me to take a right turn.... I looked at the yucky, unpaved road - and noticed a sign posted: "High Muck Area, Proceed At Your Own Risk." I decided not to proceed. I found it interesting though, I feel like I proceed at my own risk every morning when I pull out of my garage. You never know when you leave for the morning what your day is going to entail, what problems you might encounter, or when you will happen into a "risky" situation.

Life is like that, though, isn't it? You can live very cautiously and never take any risks, and you might make it though safely, untarnished.... but what fun would you have had? What adventures did you miss? And what wisdom could you have possibly acquired to pass on to others if you only sailed through life without ever taking a chance or opting for the adventure? This is from a greeting card that was shared with us from Dave's uncle, he is in final stages of cancer and received this card early on in his diagnosis - it was inspiring to him:

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN AN UNBLEMISHED AND WELL-PRESERVED BODY; BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, BRUISED AND BROKEN, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING: "WOW....WHAT A RIDE!!"

And, if you do or do not have your faith in God - don't go thinking anyone slides in to heaven unblemished, unbruised, or without sin along the way - but when you get there, and you say, "Wow, What a Ride!!" You might just hear "I knew you'd make it!"

When you've lost love, lost your desire, lost your hope------keep proceeding at your own risk-----there is more love, more desire, and more hope just past the muck. Here's to everyone who tramples through the muck, and comes out better on the other side.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! Deep my friend. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Unknown said...

That was a great blog Jill. Much needed for me. Thanks. Love you so much!