Monday, June 23, 2008

JSUK Monday - Things that make you go Humm...

Well - after a short blogging break, I am back! Look for many posts to come! Today I have a couple of pictures, and a short educational piece:




This picture is taken out of the kitchen window.... do you see what I see (besides a plant that is desperate for a drink)? Let's zoom in:


Ahhh..yes, the beautiful and mysterious Hummingbird. He or She (I couldn't find out exactly what kind of hummingbird this is, but - I'm guessing female) is feeding on my hanging "Million Bells" plant. I'm sure it was in desperate need of pollination. I know our neighbors are envious that the hummingbird has been over to our house..... there is just some kind of fascination with them.

Side note, in Proverbs it says, "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." 14:30...... So, don't envy your neighbors or anyone else for that matter!

Here are some fascinating facts about Hummingbirds from Wikipedia:

*known for their ability to hover in mid-air by rapidly flapping their wings 15–80 times per second

*Capable of sustained hovering, hummingbirds also have the ability to fly backward, being the only group of birds able to do so

*The bill, combined with an extendable, bifurcated tongue, allows the bird to feed upon nectar deep within flowers

*Hummingbirds feed on the nectar of plants and are important pollinators, especially of deep-throated, tubular flowers

6 comments:

Dave and Jill said...

P.S. Happy Birthday Joey & Jamey!!!! You guys are getting Olddddddddddddd. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love Humming Birds!!!! I never knew those "facts"...thanks!!!! Who got the snapshot????? Muhammad Ali should of said...."Float like a Humming Bird, sting like a bee"! That would of been cool!

Jamey

Dave and Jill said...

I snapped those pictures!! Ali got it all wrong....

Unknown said...

Jill - I can't believe you "captured" a picture of a hummingbird - I've tried several times to get one but have never really succeeded! Good job - they are just about as exciting as seeing deer in your yard - too cool!

Unknown said...

Jill - I can't believe you "captured" a picture of a hummingbird - I've tried several times to get one but have never really succeeded! Good job - they are just about as exciting as seeing deer in your yard - too cool!

Jamey said...

Mom, you can say that again...oh..you did...sorry.