Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

One of my favorite classes when I was a senior at SIUC was Histology. My professor, Dr. Dyer, was an older "grandpa" type of professor - and was a wonderful histology teacher.

Anyway, he arrives at class a few minutes late on a certain Wednesday. He has something black smudged on his forehead.....and since I think he's such a great professor I decide it is my duty to let him know he has something on his forehead so that he doesn't go through the entire class... realizing later and wondering why nobody told him.

I distinctly remember that I was sitting in the front row when I graciously let him know about his smudge in front of the entire class.... to which he then informed me that it was "Ash Wednesday."

Can you believe that I was a senior in college before I learned the meaning behind Ash Wednesday???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

shhhhhhh (I was older than that)!

Anonymous said...

I have some black buddies that complain about "being ashy"....of course i had never heard of that....and I don't think it was Wednesday either....but hey we both learned valuable lessons in this thing called life!!!!

Jamsey!

Unknown said...

Jill - I did the samething to one of the Managers when I worked at Clinton. I said, "Hey Doug - you've got a smudge on your forehead." He said, "I know - it's Ash Wednesday." I'm not sure why they think a public display is the thing to do but hey - their life.