Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Country Roads, Take me Home.....

We are on our way to Kansas... Dave is driving, so we're going to do a little interview along the way:

Jill: Why are we on this trip?
Dave: Turns out, Lyndon finally popped the question - after 5 years of dating Erin.
Jill: How do you know Lyndon?
Dave: He's my best friend since about 6th grade - he was my best man.
Jill: What is your favorite Lyndon story?
Dave: When we were in 6th grade, Lyndon came over after church to play on the farm. It was summertime and we were playing in the feedlot.
Jill: The cattle feedlot?
Dave: Oh, sure. So - there was a big pile of manure that was dry on top..... so, it looke like a big sandpile. Lyndon went running over as fast as he could so that he could play in the "sand" - I truly couldn't stop in time - and he jumped in and was waist-deep in manure.
Jill: Do you rememer in "Back to the Future" when Biff had the manure truck dumped on him?
Dave: Yes - but this was much worse - it was pig manure..... it is really hard to wash out. My mom had to wash his clothes three times before he could head home.
Jill: Was Lyndon mad at you?
Dave: He was very mad. He always asks why I didn't warn him - but he was just running too fast before I could get the words out.
Jill: So, we're driving home to Kansas - what are your favorite scenes along the way?
Dave: I'll be checking out the wheat crop to see how it is looking this year.
Jill: You know that song by John Denver - "Country Roads?" - Does that song remind you of home?
Dave: No - thinking of John Denver actually reminds me of another John Denver song - "Rocky Mountain High" - it is one of my favorite scenes in "Dumb & Dumber."
Jill: How does that scene go?
Dave: Well, they are supposed to be on their way to Denver - and arriving by morning. But, somewhere in the middle of the night they miss their turn and end up in Nebraska. (Unbeknownst to them) So, Lloyd wakes up and see's the NE flatlands, and says, "I thought the Rocky Mountains would be a lot rockier than this!" "That John Denver doesn't know what he's talking about!" [paraphrased]
Jill: Cool - are you going to get up Friday morning and feed the cattle with your little brother?
Dave: Weeeeeelllllllll - I'm on vacation.
Jill: True. Since you are the Best Man on Saturday, are you going to give Lyndon any advice on married life?
Dave: Is this a trick question?
Jill: Good point.
Jill: So, are you going to drive through the Illinois Toll Booth again on this trip without paying?
Dave: It's a rental!! . .....just joking. Alright let's reverse this interview.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Have a great time and post some pictures of the fun and feeding cattle. :)

Dad said...

Have a great time! maybe I'll see you guys when you come back to get Snicker Doodles. Nice interview!

Jamey said...

That was great! This interview has everything.....Feed Lot, Cow Manure....Dumb and Dumber...Biff from back to the future...Nebraska!..the Rockies...all you need to add is something about "Mamma", "Trains", and "getting drunk", then my friends...you will have the perfect Country Western Song! LOL

Jamey said...

Oh yeah...i forgot...Dave - enjoyed the "Weellllllll"...that is legendary!

Liz said...

How did you write this in the car? Oh sure, you fancy pants.

Have fun. I am not sure if jumping in poo and feeding smelly cows is fun, but I'll take your word for it. Did I ever tell you about my trip to the Dairy Barns at Penn State???
Lizzie

Unknown said...

Jill & Dave - Enjoyed your interview. Nothing like going home. I doubt Lyndon would take any marriage advice from Dave. I mean if your best friend is going to let you jumpt in pig manure....could you really trust his advice on marriage? (Just kidding). Snickers is doing great and we've been taking lots of walks. He has several other friends he has to say hello to when we take our walks. A sniff here and there and he's ready to go again. Everybody loves Snickers!

Esther said...

Very funny...I actually don't remember the story about Lyndon, but it sounds like something that might happen to Lyndon:) Love the "free association" with Dave...sounds just like him!