Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Lessons On Germs


This is my mobile desktop. It sits in my passenger seat and keeps me company every single day. Very useful -- probably one of my best purchases. Just beyond the picture - in front of the console there is small vial of anti-bacterial hand gel. Lets face it, I have to face a LOT of germs in my day. I shake a lot of hands, I use a lot of public restrooms, I visit locations across the entire state where 1000's of people come and go on a weekly basis. I am watching out for the H3N8. Did you know YOU have an 80% chance of getting it. Yep, you - sitting right there reading this screen.

I may be a bit of a germ phobe. I'm always wondering when I'm in the public restroom, washing my hands.... I wonder, Did the person before me wash their hands? And if they didn't, what is wrong with them? And are my hand-washing efforts being "washed out" by all of the people before me that are not washing their hands.

Did you know that you should not leave your toothbrush out on the bathroom counter in the open air? WHY you ask? Did you know when you flush your toilet that germs can fly out of it as far as 10ft? It is seeminly true, I've heard it multiple times from reliable sources. Now - let's amplify that by those really really powerful toilets that they have at the McDonald's. Those are some fast flying germs. You want to know what I do? I get my stall door unlocked - I hit the flusher and run out of the stall as fast I can!! [I bet you're laughing at my germ-phobiness by now] Also - please, please, please NEVER use your hand to flush a public toilet. ALWAYS use your shoe. Everybody else is doing it, and if you are not --- you're really just touching the bottom of everybody's shoe.

Did you know the germiest room in your house is not your bathroom - but most likely your kitchen? Please go to your kitchen....right after you read this, and throw away your sponges! Germs just love that sponge environment.

And lastly on my germ lesson for the day: When you get home from your vacation - do NOT place your carry-on luggage on top of your nice clean bed. Did you roll that carry-on luggage all through the airport --- through the airport bathroom? Yuck.

Now, now lets not get out of hand on all of this, I know some germs are very good for your body to have some natural resistance when you encounter new bugs. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to hand them an open invite to have a party in my immune system --- they will have to be extra sneaky to party here.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm loving your blogging explosion! And really? Flushing the toilet with your shoe? I guess I'm the only one that didn't know this. I don't like germs either. "Germs Are Not For Sharing" is a book that is read frequently to my kiddos!

Esther said...

Another tip--never put your purse on your counter or table where you eat--not doubt you've set it on a dirty floor at some point during the day....like a public bathroom-yuck