Monday, July 7, 2008

JSUK Monday - Mosquito Tones


Okay, so I am probably the last person to hear about these things.....perhaps I should rename this JSIK.....

Mosquito tones are new ringtones that kids can download for their cell phones, and adults cannot hear them!! I definitely thought that I would be able to hear them.... there are different levels of tones for different age groups. If you damaged your ears from rocking out to loud music - you may not hear the appropriate level for your age!

I could hear down until the 24 & Older category. A little bit above average for my age, - and Dave could, as well.

Apparently they were originally developed to keeps kids from loitering outside of certain business areas - since adults didn't hear the tones it didn't bother them at all - but kids stayed away. NOW - the kids are using them to bring their cell phones to school and other places where they should not have them..... the typical teacher cannot hear the tone, so nobody knows they are using their phone during class!!

Try them out for yourself, start at a higher level and work your way down - I'd turn your speakers up full blast, just to be sure!!



5 comments:

Heather said...

You've got to be kidding me!!!!

Unknown said...

17 Hz was as high as I could go. I think if someone used one of these in the range I could hear it, I would become angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Jamey said...

I heard them all except the last one...because the neighbor three doors down was arguing with her husband (who is in Okinawa, Japan)...and he was raising his voice.....

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that so you're not the last one don't worry! That is crazy - what will they think of next!? I was just saying to Wendy the other day that todays times are sooo different to be married in, be raising kids in, etc. It used to be when you had a family there was one phone - the house phone - and anyone could answer it and nobody could call late at night, etc. SOOOOO different now - everyone has their own phone and it's private - nobody can answer or look at anyone else's phones etc.....just very different world!!!

Unknown said...

What will they think of next?? I could hear the 50 and younger really well but the 49 and younger was rather faint. So does that mean I can change my age to 50?