Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Re-Using Dirt


Sometimes I have these moments where something slips out of my mouth, and before I can realize how "blonde" I sound (i.e. not intelligent) - Dave jumps right in and cracks a joke. 2 actual examples: "Does all cotton come from trees?" ; "You can re-use dirt?".... ah, yes, I really said those things - and for a moment I can sympathize with Jessica Simpson when she's been caught on tape saying, "Is this chicken or is it tuna, because it says - 'Chicken of the Sea'? Which is what she asked her husband while eating a can of tuna. [Of course - I could never make this error because you will never catch me eating tuna - I can smell it a mile away.]

When we moved from PA to MI - I was getting rid of a plant that had died, and Dave told me to save the dirt because we can re-use it. To which I said, "You can re-use dirt?" To which Dave has gotten many, many laughs out of since then.... of course I know that you can re-use dirt, I just wasn't thinking when I said it. Just last week as we were re-planting a few things he was able to bring that line up again, and laugh about it some more, which certainly will not be the last time he gets a good laugh from the dirt comment.

So lately I have been thinking about the idea of re-using dirt. In fact some of the dirt that I was re-using came out in one big clump because the roots from the previous plant were so engraved into the soil that I had to break it apart bit by bit to get the soil that I needed. I stuck my hand in between the roots and took out all of the rich soil that the roots were clinging to. And, at the very end as I shook the roots the last remaining soil crumbled off very easily.

Sometimes Christians forget that God re-uses dirt all of the time. He wants to re-use dirt. He says, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

In fact, haven't we all been dirty at some point? I do not mean being dirty physically. I mean being "life-dirty." Sometimes the dead roots cling to the rich soil and don't want to let it go - should't we reach out to those with dirt in their lives? "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it."
1 Corinthians 12:27
From a song: If we are the body, why aren't his arms reaching, why aren't his hands healing, why aren't his words teaching?

So, if we are all part of the body of Christ - how do you think Christ would prefer that we make good use of his hands? I would humbly suspect that he would want us to reach out, and love those that have stumbled in their walk.....and welcome the "dirty" with open-arms - where else will they be welcomed home?

....sometimes it just takes time and prayer to get rid of the dead roots and let the rich soil prepare for something new, and beautiful.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Hmmm...this is a good post to ponder. Thanks for that.

Heather said...

Thanks for this post. It's a good reminder for all of us. My pastor said several weeks ago, "It's great that all of you come here to worship and fellowship. But what are you really doing to grow the church? Why don't you just do what you are supposed to do?"

Unknown said...

Jill - I love it! God uses everyday things in life to show us how true His word is and how it works. When I wasn't living for God the dirt in my life produced lots of ugly weeds but now my roots are planted deep in the soil of the Word, warmed by the Son and hopefully producing fruit that others can taste...and see that it's good. Of course there continues to be those ugly weeds that pop up now and again and need to be pulled out! We do need to reach out and do God's work...because if we're not doing God's work with our mouth (what we speak), our hands, feet, etc. then who's work are we doing...think about it.

Anonymous said...

Mom - weeds pop up?....well you need not worry...you have a gardner...jill - loved the story