Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Michigan Map



If you have ever asked a Michigander where they are from in Michigan - you've likely seen this image.

Yep - our state is shaped like a mitten! It's pretty cool actually - and I know the rest of you are likely to be secretly jealous of this tool.

I don't know of any other state that actually does this. I know in Illinois, when asked this question - I'd simply say, "central Illinois"..... or the usual assumption that if you're from IL you are from Chicago... so, you're always saying, nooo - not Chicago area.

When we first moved here our realtor told us that we'd see everyone doing this. We kind of chuckled and just assumed it was her thing.... it wasn't!! Everybody here does it, and we do it now!

When we lived in PA we picked up a strange voice inflection that you use when asking a question....we've actually grown out of that..... However, I'm sure we'll always use the Michigan map....it's just that cool!

2 comments:

Liz said...

If you turn your hand horizontal, it looks like PA...if you scrunch it up, it looks like NJ. Right??

Angie said...

You will NEVER see me use the Mitten map; I REFUSE!