Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Softball Win!

So - we won our softball game tonight!! However, our umpire was not very good.

I'll just tell you a little short story that my team was amused by. So - in MI softball - they don't use the mats like they do in IL..... if the ball lands on the mat it is a strike. Here they just have imaginary mats.

So - our umpire tonight had the biggest strike zone you can imagine for slowpitch softball. He proceeded to call me out (a strike out!) while looking at the last pitch. ---Mind you, every pitch at this "at bat" was a ball with any other umpire. It was kind of a moist evening, so I could see exactly where the the last pitch had landed. At his call I proceeded to stick my bat in the dirt on the spot where the ball had landed.... I then turned around to him and said, "You call that a strike?" He said yes...... soooo then I took my bat and drew the imaginary mat in the dirt for him, so that he wouldn't have any future issues seeing where the strike zone was located. I then walked (grouchily) back to the dugout. Each "at bat" after that - there were zero strikes called on me!!! Now, I will admit that I swung more liberally --- but, I also walked the very next at bat.

I wouldn't do this with every umpire.... but he was pretty friendly at previous games...so, I thought I could probably get away with the arguing. Plus, it's rec softball - you just can't let yourself get walked all over! Right?!? :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. Simply awesome. As I recall, before his fall from grace, Mark McGwire was batting, and got called out looking. He took his bat, set it up in the batter's box and put his helmet on top of it. As the bat fell over, he told the ump, "you try and hit that". He didn't get to play any more that day, but it did make me laugh.

Heather said...

You crack me up.